Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mystery novel

I am currently reading Agatha Christie's novel And Then There Were None. I'm not going to say anything about the specific plot or characters -- don't want to ruin anything for you -- but I will say that, although this is the first mystery novel I've ever read and I don't have any experience with the genre, I am really enjoying it and can see why it has been called "the best mystery novel ever written."  Several elements within the text seem like cliches, but since the novel was written in the late 1930s, it probably originated those elements which have since become cliches. An easy-to-read, compelling, fascinating character study. My students and I have generated several connections to modern-day texts (film, TV, and book), making the novel's influence apparent. A quick read, but very good so far. Hopefully, the ending will not disappoint.

No comments: