Monday, July 31, 2006

Top Ten Novels

I've resisted including plays or epic poems, and I have also passed over those books that are "great" but that are too difficult to really enjoy (e.g., The Sound and the Fury). Books are listed alphabetically by author, not by relative quality.

These are books that must accomplish something of significance in a literary, philosophical, social, or political way. They must also be enjoyable to read, broad in scope, and particularly eloquent. They are books I would (and do) pick up to read over and over. They are books I wish I had written.

The List

If On a Winter’s Night a Traveler Italo Calvino A wonderful journey through a novel -- or several novels. Metafictional, literary, fun, and serpentine. A truly unique book that virtually defies description and one I wish would never end.

The Brothers Karamazov Fyodor Dostoevsky Intense and emotional characters overwhelmed by their passions. Brilliant descriptions.

Invisible Man Ralph Ellison A work of genius from a purely American scholar. Encompasses the rage, the frustration, and the diversity of the African-American experience in Twentieth Century America. A must-read for all Americans.

Lord of the Flies William Golding The shortest novel on the list, but one of the darkest. Tragic and shocking, a microcosm of humanity (albeit viewed by a pessimist).

Les Miserables Victor Hugo Probably the most lyrical and eloquent of the novels listed. Poetic prose that tells a profoundly disturbing tale of sacrifice, loyalty, honor, and redemption.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest Ken Kesey The ultimate Beat novel. Beautifully written and tragic. Can be read over and over, yielding increasingly rich interpretations.

1984 George Orwell One of the most politically important novels of our time. As timeless in its message as any novel, and one of the most critical novels to read.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Robert Pirsig Compelling and fascinating. Takes to heart the advice of Socrates who said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." A writer's novel.

The Fountainhead Ayn Rand Affecting and inspiring story of a man who remains forever true to himself and his ideals.

Lord of the Rings J. R. R. Tolkien I also include The Hobbit with this very long novel, as it is a necessary prelude. Tolkien creates a mythical world, influencing fantasy literature permanently. It is the standard by which all fantasy literature is measured.




2 comments:

Robert D. Ford said...

With the exception of Lord of the Fleas and Lord of the Bling, this is a solid list.

I have to admit, though, that I've tried to read Zen and the Art ... a few times and have never been able to get into it. For whatever reason, it always screamed "Self Help!" But, I'm sure that's not an accurate assessment.

But, really, who can be critical when Dostevsky, Calvino, and Ellison are anchoring the line? I taught Crime and Punishment to an A.P. class a couple years ago, but only briefly because it was part of their summer reading. The Big D's got some powerful Shi'ite. And, Calvino is just awesome; I've got three or four of his books, including If on a Winter's Night.
Invisible Man? Why I didn't put that on my list, I don't know.

So when do we do our lists for poetry and drama?

Michael Berry said...

An excellent list! I have to admit, there are a few surprises here (no 1984?), but a few of them I expected.

I've never read any Calvino work, nor have I ever felt the urge to read Zen (it feels too pop culture for me, maybe that's dumb). I have read Tale of Two Cities (I prefer Great Expectations eventhough I admit that Tale is a much more important piece), The Brothers Karamozvo (what a rewarding experience) and Invisible Man(hated it) over the last three years. Les Miserables is a novel I hope to read one day (very long - can anybody say "next summer's book"), as is The Fountainhead (I get credit for reading her other huge work). Lord of the Flies is a fine novel, but I'm surprised you added it to this list (very surprised), and I didn't realize you liked Cuckcoo's Nest so much - would you like to teach it? Finally, The Lord of the Rings? Hmmm....I didn't know we were allowed to put children's stories on the list. I might have included Encyclopedia Brown or Danny Dunn!

Seriously, now that I think of my favorite books of all time, I should have included The Great Brain books. I love them like I love To Kill a Mockingbird. Why should they get omitted because they're not Earthshakers?

Our lists for poetry and drama? Yikes! I've already done all of the drama I know, and who cares about poetry? Ok, I'll take a whack at it (he says, while thumbimg through his copy of Equus).

We can't comment on Rob's books (on his blog) because he has them off in a side list. The bastard!